In this article, you’ll learn how to make homemade ice cream with sweetened condensed milk and whole milk.
Most ice cream is made with lots of heavy cream, egg yolks, milk, and other ingredients which tastes delicious but it is not everyone might like it and want to try something different.
A tasty and healthier alternative to traditional cream is milk. So, if you want something richer, try an ice cream made with sweetened condensed milk or whole milk.
Table of Contents
How to make homemade vanilla ice cream with sweetened condensed milk and whole milk
To make homemade vanilla ice cream, you will need only three main ingredients. Homemade vanilla ice cream is the easiest ice cream recipe and it is perfectly creamy, sweet, and very refreshing.
You need only three main ingredients to make homemade vanilla ice cream and they are:
1. Heavy whipping cream – Also known as heavy cream or cream is a dairy product but has a higher fat content than milk. Because of its fat content, it makes the ice cream super creamy.
2. Sweetened condensed milk or whole milk: Sweetened condensed milk is cow’s milk with the water content evaporated off. Sweetened condensed milk acts as a sweetener and softens the ice cream allowing for easier scooping. To make your ice cream less sweet, use low-fat or fat-free condensed milk.
Whole milk is the regular milk most people use and you can use it if you don’t want to make use of the sweetened condensed milk.
3. Vanilla extract: Make sure you use high-quality vanilla extract so the vanilla flavour can come out well.
Note: To make homemade vanilla ice cream with whole milk you’ll need to add sugar but with sweetened condensed milk, you don’t need sugar.
How to make vanilla ice cream with whole milk
- 4 cups of whole milk (any level fat)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Combine milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl
- Measure out each ingredient and add it to a medium bowl.
- Use a large spoon to stir the ingredients together and stir until all of the sugar has dissolved
- For the milk, you use any level of fat, whether fat-free, 2% or full fat.
Step 2: Add the mixture to an ice cream machine.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process the mixture for about 20 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Pour the mixture in an airtight container like Tupperware and put it in your freezer.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture in a shallow dish that is freezer-safe and put the dish into your freezer.
Step 3: Stir the mixture every 2-4 hours
You can improve the consistency of your ice cream by taking it out every 2-4 hours and stirring it around and then, place it back into your freezer.
If you use an ice cream machine, stir every 4 hours and if you didn’t use an ice cream maker, stir every 2-4 hours after the initial ice crystals have formed.
Step 4: Freeze the mixture for 8 hours or overnight
After about eight hours and periodic stirring, the ice cream should be fully frozen and should have an ice cream-like consistency and ready to be served.
Step 5: Top with your favourite toppings and serve
Transfer the ice cream into serving bowls using an ice cream scoop and then, top with your favourite nuts, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, dried or canned fruit, and anything else you enjoy on your ice cream.
How to make Vanilla ice cream with sweetened condensed milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
This makes 3 pints of ice cream
Step 1: Place the sweetened condensed milk in the refrigerator
- Condensed milk is usually sold in non-refrigerated cans and for this recipe, make sure the milk is good and cold before mixing your ingredients.
- Put it in the fridge for a few hours before you get started.
Step 2: Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the heavy cream
- Take the heavy cream out of the refrigerator and start work immediately. Ensure your ingredients are very cold when you mix them together.
- Make use of a whisk attachment and beat the cream. Beat the cream at a medium speed and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Step 3: Turn the speed to low and add the condensed milk and vanilla
- Once your stiff peaks have started to form, take the chilled sweetened condensed milk out of the fridge.
- Turn the mixer speed down to low and slowly pour the sweetened condensed milk in with the cream.
- Next, add the vanilla extract.
Step 4: Turn the speed back up to medium
- After adding the additional ingredients, turn the mixer back up to medium speed.
- Continue beating the mixture until it thickens and stiff peaks begin to form again (The peaks will be much thicker this time around).
Step 5: Customize your ice cream with add-ins (optional)
You can add additional flavors and additives to your ice cream if you want to. You can add anything you want including crushed cookies, nuts, fruit purees, cake pieces, chocolate syrup, etc, to create your own custom flavour.
Stir the mixture well to fully incorporate your add-ins for instance
- If you want to make strawberry cheesecake ice cream, add 1 cup of cheesecake and your desired amount of strawberry puree.
- To make cookies and cream ice cream, mix in 2/3 cup crushed Oreos
- To make fruity mango ice cream, add ¼ cup mango puree.
Step 6: Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture into a container and freeze it for 6 hours
- Transfer the ice cream mixture into a large freezer-safe container that can be resealed.
- Put the ice cream in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Your ice cream is ready, you can now enjoy your delicious treat.
How to Make Old Fashioned Evaporated Milk Ice Cream
This recipe is also one of the easiest ice creams that you will ever make. No cooking, you just need to mix, pour, turn on the ice cream machine and go!
- Condenses milk
- Evaporated milk
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
- Whisk the condensed milk, egg, vanilla, and evaporated milk together and set aside.
- Pour the mixture in the ice cream machine, and then add milk. Only fill the top of the paddles. You need about ½ a gallon of milk.
- Next, add ice and rock salt around the canister and turn on the ice cream maker
- Your ice cream is ready, put in an airtight container and place in the freezer.
Hope this post was helpful.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?