This post has the list of most in-demand jobs that are hiring now and will still hire in years to come. If you want to start a career and want to cultivate sustainable skills that employers need and want, it is essential you know the current trends in the job market.
If you know the current trends in the job market, you’ll be able to prepare yourself to acquire a position in one of the most in-demand careers. These in-demand jobs have the most anticipated growth rates for the next ten years.
So if you want to find a new and exciting career or you’re in the early stages of your career, look no further because, in this article, we’ll list some of the most in-demand jobs with job duties, average pay, and education requirements.
Table of Contents
20 Most in-demand jobs in 2020 and beyond
Jobs that qualify as in-demands are options that offer long-term growth and contain a variety of open positions. Industries with in-demand careers seek to fill positions with highly-qualified candidates who possess certain skills and abilities. Most in-demand jobs are willing to offer certain benefits to encourage longevity.
Without further ado, here is a list of 20 most in-demand jobs
1. Software Developers
Average pay – $105, 090 per year
Key duties: Software developers are to research, design, implement, and manage software programs. Some duties/responsibilities of a software developer include;
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Deploying software tools, processes, and metrics
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and later, developing these modifications
- Consulting with software engineers to assess software/hardware interfaces
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or a related technical program.
Additional requirements – Strong programming skills, demonstrated experience with different software development projects.
Average pay – $83, 291 per year
Key duties – Statisticians develops and applies statistical theories to get useful data that helps to solve real world-problems. Some detailed responsibilities if a statistician are:
- Adapting statistical methods in order to solve certain problems in many fields
- Creating statistically questionnaires, experiments, surveys, and polls
- Utilizing statistical software trends and relationships within a set of data
- Reporting conclusions to their analyses
Minimum education requirements – Master’s degree in mathematics, statistics, or survey methodology.
Additinal requirement – Expert understanding os statistics, calculus and linear algebra.
3. Information Security Analysts
Average pay – $99, 944 per year
An information security analyst plays an important role in keeping a company’s proprietary and sensitive information secure. Information security analyst works inter-departmentally to identify and correct flaws in the organization’s security systems, solutions, and programs and also recommend certain measures that can enhance the company’s overall security posture.
Key duties – Information security analysts are responsible for monitoring for security issues in computer systems. Other responsibilities include;
- Conducting security assessments via vulnerability testing and risk analysis
- Performing both internal and external security audits
- Investigatiing and document security breaches and other incidents to identify the root cause
- Continously updating the organization’s incident response and disater recovery plans
- Operating software and installing security measure in order to protect information infrastructure and systems
Minimum education requirements – BSc in computer science, programming, or a related field.
Additional requirements – Knowledge of firewalls, antivirus, proxies, and SIEM and must have the ability to notice and fix network issues and explain how they can be avoided.
4. Physical Therapists
Average pay – $87, 930 per year
A physical therapist is responsible for diagnosing and treating both old and young people suffering from medical problems or other health-related conditions that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives.
A physical therapist examines his/her patient and develops a plan using treatment techniques to promote their ability to move, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability as well as work with individuals to prevent the loss of mobility before it happens by creating fitness/wellness-oriented programs for healthier and more active lifestyles.
- Consulting with each individual patient to learn about his/her physical condition and symptoms
- Developing treatment plans for each patient
- Administering physical therapy treatments to assist with pain management and enhance mobility, as medically prescribed.
- Assisting patients with the use of equipment like wheelchairs and walkers
- Maintaining patients records and keeping track of their goals and progress
Minimum education requirements – Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.
Additional requirements – Must pass the National Physical Therapist Examination (NPTE) and must get a state license to practice physical therapy.
5. Health Services Administrators
Average pay – $70,347 per year
Health services administrators also known as health services managers direct the operation of hospitals, health systems, and other healthcare-related oragnizations.
Health services administrators do not deal directly with patients on a daily basis but help to shape policy, make changes when necessary, and lead the nation’s health-related organizations in a way that serves individuals patients by helping to enhance the health care system.
- Enhancing the efficiency and quality in the delivery of healthcare services
- keeping up-to-date with changes in healthcare technology and regulatory mandates
- Recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising staff members
- Developing departmental goals and objectives
- Keeping and organizing records of the facility’s services
- Creating work schedules for employees
- Representing the facility at investor meetings/on governing boards
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Health Care Administration, Business Administration, or a related field.
Additional requirements – Must have comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology and healthcare regulations.
6. Web Developers
Average pay – $72,040 per year
- Creating and testing applications for a website
- Performing website updates
- Designing, writing or editing website content
- Creating web testing schedules to test all browser and device types
- Maintaining an accurate knowledge of new web applications and programming
Minimum education requirements – Associate’s degree in web development, web design, programming, or a related field.
7. Registered Nurse
Average pay – $70,821 per year
Registered nurses have been in high demand for some years and still is especially this era of pandemic and will still be in high demand in years to come. A registered nurse provides and coordinates patient care, educate patients and the public about various health conditions.
- Assessing patients’conditions
- Administering medications
- Performing diagnostic testing
- Work with other heathcare providers for efficient patient care
Minimum education requirements – Associate of Science in Nursing degree (ASN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Additional requirements – Must pass the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) and Meet the state’s requirements for nursing licensure.
8. Financial Advisors
Adverage pay – $66, 083 per year
Financial advisors provide financial advice to clients based on current market trends and may also invest money for clients. They work in financial institutions such as banks, mutual fund companies, and insurance companies as well as with individuals/ institutional clients.
- Talk to clients to know their financial objectives and expenses to develop a financial plan
- Answers client finance questions
- Advice clients based on investment strategies
- Interpret client’s financial summaries and investment performance reorts
- Regularly communicate with clients to update their financial status as needed
Minimum education requirements – BA in Finance or related major
Additional requirements – Must have knowledge of various financial industries and insurance industries.
9. Medical Doctor/Medical Practitioners
Average pay – $140, 234 per year
Medical doctors and medical practitioners are one of the most in-demand jobs in 2020 around the world.
A general doctor or medical practitioner is a physician who does not specialize in a particular area of medicine but has a general knowledge of all types of illnesses in order to diagnose and treat different conditions and infections.
- Examine patients for illness or injury
- Plan and provide treatment to patients and refer them to specialists if necessary
- Document treatments on digital charting software
- Provide education to patients and families regarding medical conditions and their treatment options as well as preventative care strategies of nutrition, exercise, and hygiene
- Work with other specialists in order to treat and care for the patient
Minimum education requirement – Doctorate in Medicine
Additional requirements – Must pass the U.S Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) for state licensure.
10. Electrical Engineer
Average pay – $73, 225 per year
An electrical engineer is responsible for developing new electronic devices, as well as solving issues and testing new products. Electrical engineers spend their day working on a variety of technology from small devices such as alarm systems to large supercomputers.
- Designing and enhancing electrical products and systems
- Establishing manufacturing processes
- Evaluating systems’ safety, reliability, and performance
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor of Electrical Engineering
11. Operations Research Analysts
Average pay – $ 69, 816 per year
An operations research analyst is a professional problem-solver that uses advanced techniques like optimization, data mining, statistical analysis, and mathematical modeling, to develop solutions that help businesses and organizations operate more efficiently and cost-effectively.
key duties – An operations research analyst do the following;
- Collects and analyze data from operational systems to develop software for decision reports
- Uses statistical simulations to analyze and define operational issues
- Gathers specialized knowledge from workers about operations to assist with solving problems
- Develops mathematical models of potential operational issues.
Minimum education requirements – BSc/Master’s degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Must have a high level of computer literacy and have expertise with advanced statistical software and databases
- Must have analytical, problem-solving, mathematical, and critical-thinking skills.
12. Civil Engineers
Average pay – $67, 430 per year
Civil engineers are responsible for designing, building, and supervising infrastructure projects and systems.
- Analyze long-range plans, maps, survey reports, and other data to plan and design projects
- Examing construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors during the planning and risk-analysis stages of a project
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures related to the industry and government standards
- Prepare cost estimates for equipment, materials, or labor to determine a project’s economic feasibility
- Perform or oversee surveying operations to establish locations, site layouts, grades, reference points, and elevations to guide construction
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field.
13. Medical Technologists
Average pay – 58, 368 per year
Medical technologists also known as clinical laboratory technologists maintains and operates medical equipment used to analyze complex scientific tests on blood and other bodily fluids.
Key duties/responsibilities – A medical technologist performs the following tasks;
- Collects and prepares urine, blood, and tissue samples for analysis
- Identifies any cell abnomalities in the collected samples
- Prepares detailed reports about any possible test results
- Documents and reviews data that has been tested
- Collaborates with other medical specialists to determine the possible diagnosis
- Maintains a clean working envronment according to safty procedures and regulations
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science.
Additional requirements – Must have advanced biology and chemistry knowledge.
14. Mechanical Engineers
Average pay – $70,646 per year
Mechanical engineers design, and develop building and testing mechanical devices such as engines, machines, and tools. Mechanical engineers can work on power-producing products like gas turbines, electric generators, electrical appliances, mechanical motors, lifts, and escalators.
- Analyze issues to determine how mechanical and thermal devices might help solve a certain problem
- Design/redesign mechanical and thermal devices or subsystems, using analysis and computer-aided design
- Develop and test prototypes of devices they design
- Examine equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to recommend remedies
- Analyze the test results and change the design or system when necessary
- Supervise the manufacturing process for the device
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering technology.
- A degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program
- Must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Relevant work experience (3-4 years)
- Must pass the Professional Engineering (PE) exam
15. IT Data Analysts
Average pay – $73,847 per year
IT data analysts collect, organize, and interpret statistical information to make it useful for various businesses and organizations.
An IT data analyst is someone who examines information usind data analysis tools. The result he/she pulls from the raw data helps their employers/clients make important decisions by identifying a range of facts and trends.
IT data analysts can work in banks, specialist software development companies, telecommunication companies, colleges and universities, manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and public sector organizations.
Key duties – An IT data analyst performs the following duties:
- Uses advanced computerised models to extract the dat needed
- Removes corruption data
- Performs intial analysis to assess the quality of the data
- Performs further analysis to determine the meaning of the data
- Performs final analysis to provide additional data screening
- prepares reports based on analysis and presents them to management
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, or Economics.
Additional requirements – High level of mathematical ability, and strong programming skills.
16. Home Health Aides and Personal Care Aides
Average pay – $24, 020 per year
Home health aides and personal care aides assist people with disabilities, elder adults, or ill people who need help in their daily lives. They can help them by feeding, bathing, dressing, as well as giving them medication and checking their vital signs.
They can work in a variety of settings iclucing group homes, clent’s homes, and day services programs.
- Assisting clients in their daily personal tasks
- Keeping clients engage in their social networks and communities
- Organizing client’s schedule and plan appointments
- Clean, wash and prepare meals for clients
Education requirements – High School Diploma or equivalent
Additional requirements – Must get a minimum training and pass a competency exam if you intend working for an agency.
NOTE: Additional requirements for certification may vary by state. Some states may require on-the-job training while other states may require formal training which you can get from a community college or vocational school.
Average pay – $53,149 per year
The more startups begin to expand and companies begin to grow, the more need for qualified accountants. Accountants manage accounts, maintains bookkeeping, and prepares financial documents such as profit-and-loss statements, balance sheets, etc, to ensure the smooth running of a business/company.
- prepares accounts and tax returns
- Adminsters payrools and controls income and expenditure
- Audit finacial information
- Annalyse acounts and business plans
- Compiles and presents reports, budgets, busines plans, commentaries, and financial statements
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or another related field
18. Engineering Managers
Average pay – $117,698 per year
An engineering manager directs, plans, coordinates projects, as well as supervises employees in architectural and engineering companies. An engineering manager also arranges schedules and ensures budgets are met.
- Assigning tasks to engineers
- Communicating effectively with customers
- Proposing budgets for a variety of projects
- Gauging progress of various projects
- Creating reports to give updates on projects
- Training new employees
- Attending trade shows and conferences
- Collaborating with the sales team to create new products
Minimum education requirements – Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a Master’s degree in Engineering Management or Technology Management.
Additional requirements – Work experience in the field (5 years)
19. Nursing Assistants
Average pay – $28,454 per year
Nursing assistants are also called certified nursing assistants helps patients with healthcare and other needs under the supervision of a Registered Nurse in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and other medical treatment facilities.
They are responsible for;
- Taking patients vital signs
- Changing and cleaning bed liners on regular basis
- Serving and feeding patients
- Bathing and dressing patients
- Moving/lifting bedridden patients
- Recording the observations of patients health
Minimum education requirements – A high School Diploma or GED
Additional requirements – Must complete the state nursing assistant training and earn certification.
20. Construction Laborers
Average pay – $31, 616 per year
A construction worker operate and maintain equipment to build different structures, like buildings, homes, bridges, etc. Construction workers have the following responsibilites;
- Loading and unloading materials, tools, and other needed equipment
- Removing garbage and debris from construction sites
- Helping contractors asrequired
- Construct barricades and temporary structures
- Assisting with the operation of large equipment and machines
- Regulating traffic with traffic signs
Education requirements – A High School Diploma or equivalent, certificate of completion of trade school or apprenticeships.
Additional requirements – Must have a license to work with hazardous materials and must be willing to undergo extra training when necessary.
Other Most in-demand jobs in the world include
22. Teachers (primary, secondary, university lecturers)
23. Digital and Video marketer
24. Blockchain developer
25. Security, fire, and service technicians
26. Lawyers, paralegal, and legal-support staff
27. Artisans (Barbers, coffer roasters, butchers, etc)
28. Sales Executives
31. Chemical engineers
34. Physicits and astronomers
41. Aircraft technicians
42. Occupational Therapists
45. Motor Vehicle mechanics
48. Dental hygienists
49. Truck drivers
50. Social workers
Now you know some of the most in-demand jobs, choosing a reputable career will be much easier. Before thinking of venturing into a new career it is advisable you get the qualifications, skills, and experience needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
– Software developers
– IT data analysts
– Registered nurses
– Information security analysts
– Health services managers
– Financial managers
– Medical doctors
– Physical therapists
– Occupational therapists
– Nurse assistants
– Home health aides and personal care aides
– and much more
– Web developers
– Application software developers
– Graphic designers
– Medical practitioners
– Physician assistants
– Interpreters and translators
– Information security analysts
and much more
– Business analysts
– Data scientists
– Graphic designers
– Software developers
– Mechanical Engineers
– Project managers
and much more
The most sought after jobs are
– Software engineer
– Investment banking analyst
– Marketing coordinator
– Graphic designer
– Sales executive
– Business analyst
– Administrative assistant
– Assistant media planner
Some of the highest-paying jobs in the world are;
– Software Engineers
– Pharmacy Managers
– Engineering Managers
– Physician Assistant
– Nurse Practitioners
– Enterprise Architects
– Obstetricians and Gynecologists
– Chief Executives
– Aerospace Engineers
– Petroleum Engineers
– Information Systems Managers
– Marketing Managers
– Financial Managers
– Sales Managers
– Natural Science Managers
– University Professors
– Investment Bankers
Read this article Jobs with growing demand to know the fastest-growing occupations.
Here are some of the highest-skilled trades in the USA;
– Construction Manager
– Aircraft Mechanic
– Rotary Drill Operator (Oil & Gas Industry)
– Avionics Technician
– Pile-Driver Operator
– Crane Operator
– Wind Turbine Technician
– Brick Mason
– Industrial Machinery Mechanic
– Commercial Driver
– Construction Equipment Operator
– CNC Machine Tool Programmer
– HVAC Technician
– Diesel Mechanic
– Automotive Mechanic
Here are some jobs that are unlikely to exist in years to come which you can avoid;
– Postal Worker
– Travel Agent
– Newspaper Reporter
– Telephone Switchboard Operator
– Textile Machine Operator
– Photo processor
Law is never a dying profession – as time goes on, more precedent is set and more laws are made.
Let’s take a look at some of the highest-paying IT jobs
– Mobile Applications Developer
– Big Data Engineer
– Information Systems Security Manager
– Applications Architect
– Database Manager
– Data Architect
– Data Security Analyst
– Software Engineer
– Wireless Network/Cloud Engineer
– Senior Web Developer
– Data Scientist
– Systems Engineer
– Site Reliability Engineer
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?