Strength and conditioning jobs are one of the thriving job roles in the fitness industry.
You stand a chance of succeeding in this niche whether or not you have a degree in physical education or a fitness-related field.
But just in case you’re confused about what a strength and conditioning specialist does, let’s clear the air!
Strength and conditioning experts are usually mistaken for personal trainers. However, their roles and duties are completely different.
While a personal trainer drafts out personalized workout plans based on your strengths and weaknesses, a strength and conditioning expert guides and directs strength and conditioning training programs.
These are programs that aim at improving an athlete’s physical performance, speed, agility, power, muscle size and endurance level. These programs are also designed to help strengthen the cardiac muscles and improve good cholesterol levels in the blood.
Because of this, the program is also suitable for weight loss sessions and improving the general health conditions of elderly people.
Table of Contents
Career Opportunities in Strength and Conditioning
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Athletic Director
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- Fitness Instructor
- Sports Coach
- Performance Coach, etc
Some Job Opportunities in Strength and Conditioning
Here’s a list of available strength and conditioning job opportunities.
In the US
- Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach – University of North Carolina (UNC-Chapel Hill)
- This position will work alongside the Director of Strength and Conditioning for Olympic Sports daily.
- Help full-time employees with day-to-day activities and general planning. Daily tasks may include but are not limited to, coaching/skills, record-keeping, filing, light housekeeping, and equipment set-up and breakdown. These activities will require physical labour involving the movement of items/equipment.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or have an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Virtual Strength and Conditioning Coach – Par4Success
- Responsible for planning out a training strategy
- Motivate and influence clients to experience the amazing services we provide
- Successfully execute and implement training programs
- A bachelor’s degree in any field
- A minimum of one-year professional experience in coaching
- Applicant should be a problem-solver
- Leadership skills: The applicant should be able to coach, motivate and lead
- Should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Expected to be proficient in strength and conditioning principles and a general understanding of golf
- Show passion for coaching training
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach – The University of Alabama
- Responsible for the development and management of individual and group strength training programs
- Supervise the training, conditioning and instructing of student-athletes
- Collect and collate data on student-athlete
- Analyze and interpret data from the data system to provide specialized and targeted training programs which will help in improving the performance of individual athletes
- Responsible for recruiting, training, conditioning, instructing, supervising and coaching student-athletes to prepare them for intercollegiate competitions
- Assist with budgeting, scheduling, travel and hotel logistics, and booking practice courts
- Maintain equipment inventory and order as necessary.
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in the management of individual and group strength-training programs for men and/or women
- Applicants must be NSCA and/or CSCCa Certified.
- Special Operations Strength and Conditioning Specialist (95th CA, Fort Bragg, NC) – KBR
- Develop and promote training materials as required by the Program Manager and/or Coordinator
- Work with sports medicine professionals to ensure a smooth transition of athletes from rehabilitation to performance-based activities.
- Work with mental performance and performance nutrition team to ensure a holistic approach to athletes’ well-being
- Regularly attend meetings to evaluate physical training programs, and make improvements where necessary
- Review information disseminated in meetings
- Advise the Program Manager and/or Coordinator on strength and conditioning, administrative matters and purchasing of equipment
- Perform administrative duties like keeping records of utilization, workload, programs and training sessions.
- Applicant must be a US citizen
- Applicants must possess Secret Clearance, Top, Secret Clearance, or the ability to obtain a clearance.
- A bachelor’s degree in accredited exercise science, health science or physical education-related discipline.
- A minimum of five (5) years of accumulated experience
- Strong written and oral communication in English
- Be physically capable of demonstrating all prescribed exercises/techniques
- Capable of surviving physically in rough and extreme environments
- Should be able to lift and manipulate weights of up to 25kilogram.
- Must be NSCA, CSCS, SCCC and/or CSCCa certified.
In the UK
- Sports Coach (Strength and Conditioning) – The Richard Huish Trust
- Deliver a teen-friendly training program aimed at improving team and player development
- The coach must possess outstanding communication skills
- Must have at least a level 2 coaching certification
- Not lacking a first aid certification
- Should be ready to embrace the educational and sporting spirit in the institution
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Must possess certification in safeguarding and protecting children
- Must possess a DBS clearance
Fixed term contract
£16.80 – £25.00 per hour
- Pension benefits
- Onsite parking
- Wellness programmes
- Athletics Performance Coach – Brentford Football Club
- Primarily working with Brentford B Team and supporting the Team Head of B Team Athletic Performance
- Oversee the delivery of training programs aimed at strength and athletic development
- Work alongside Team Head of Team B Athletics Performance to ensure periodic performance testing is completed
- Be available for travel on specific tours all year round, and for work on match days
- MSc in sports science or strength conditioning
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess flexible working hours and a flexible attitude towards work
- Should have a UK driving license
- Must be able to work as part of a team
- Must be self-motivated and driven
£30,000 a year
- Fitness Instructor – Nottingham Trent University
- Oversee new member inductions and fitness assessments
- Deliver strength and conditioning sessions to various sports clubs
- Assist with membership enquiries and enrolling of new club members
- Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic and organized
- Applicants must possess a recognised fitness instructing qualification
- Must have experience coordinating individual and group training sessions and working in a fitness environment
- Must be reliable
- Should be armed with excellent communication and organisational skills
- Must have great interpersonal skills and a flexible approach to work
£21,297 – £23,829 a year
- Casual Strength and Conditioning Coach – Carey Baptist Grammar School
- Deliver strength and conditioning programs at Carey’s Co-curricular Sports Program across middle and senior schools
- Experience in planning and implementing strength and conditioning programs
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people including stakeholders, students, staff and parents
- NCAA qualification in Strength and Conditioning
- Head Coach – Body Fit Training
- Teaching members safe and effective cardio exercises
- Guiding members in the use of our ultra-modern heart rate technology
- Actively recruiting new members into the studio while retaining already existing ones
- A background and experience in strength and conditioning
- Must be patient and welcoming
- Not lacking effective communication skills
- Must have a great personality
- Should be passionate about fitness, health and coaching
- Must possess good customer service skills
- Must have a minimum of Level III and IV Certificate in fitness
- Strength and Conditioning Coach/ Personal Trainer – Physique Transformations
- Designing unique exercise programs specifically targeted to meet clients’ workout goals
- Responsible for training clients working on personalized programs, in a semi-private setting
- Acting as a source of motivation and support to clients
- Delivering high-quality semi-private sessions
- Responsible for retaining already-existing clients
- Educating clients in diet and nutrition, and taking body fat measurements using skinfold callipers
- Must be well-versed in First Aid and CPR
- Have Certificates III & IV in Fitness/Personal Training
- Must have Professional and Public Liability and Indemnity Insurance
- Must possess ASCA Strength & Conditioning Level 1 (or the view to obtaining in the next 6 months
Salary Range for a Strength and Conditioning Job Role
The average salary of strength and conditioning job ranges between $39, 475 and $58,453.
It is worthy to note that the salary range of a strength and conditioning specialist largely depends on several things such as education, certifications, location, years of experience in your profession, and your additional skills. As a result, this value might vary greatly because of these factors.
Strength and Conditioning Employment Agencies
Aside from the regular job roles stated above, there are also employment opportunities available in recruitment agencies
- Love Recruitment Group
This is Uk’s leading Fitness Recruitment Agency. They act as the middleman between customers looking for a good fitness/gym job and clients looking for the best fitness talent. They recruit talents across all areas in the fitness industry – ranging from managers to salespeople, to fitness instructors.