This Crash Course “The Art of Writing for a Living” will show you how to make a living writing.
This could be Articles for a Company website, content for a Blog, How to guides, writing as a Freelance on any Freelance Platform, or outright content that you write and sell-off.
After showing you how to write for a living, I will teach you how to get writing jobs from the comfort of your Home
Lastly, I will also show you how to write for yourself and pay yourself for writing
Table of Contents
4 Ways you can Earn a Living writing
- Writing to earn through Ads like Adsense
- Writing to earn through Affiliate Programs like Clickbank
- Writing for a Company Blog, Website, or News Portal
- Writing Down rare Content and selling them off to a targetted audience
Apart from these 4 custom ways of writing for a living, there are other ways to write for a living like Writing on Medium, Writing Surveys, etc. Though these other ones are out of the scope of this Crash Course.
For the sake of this post, we will be focusing on just these 4 custom ways, so without much ado, let’s get started.
Writing for Ads like Adsense
To earn money writing for Ads, you will have to be a little bit patient for your Traffic to grow and then you can start cashing out through Google Adsense and other Display Advertising platforms like Adstera.
In this course, I will be focusing strictly on Adsense as I have been earning from Adsense for a long time now and still earning each day
To be able to earn with Adsense, you will need to have a Blog to write on and one of such platforms you can use is Google Blogger or WordPress.
There are other blogging platforms out there but I highly recommend you pick from any of these two with WordPress taking the preferential lead
Discover the Highest Paying Apps for Android
Steps to Follow to get started;
- Go to Blogger.com and register an account with your Gmail email address
- Create a New Blog and publish it to go live. This blog will be hosted on the free .blogspot.com domain extension
- Now go to any Hosting service provider site of your choice and purchase a Domain Name
- After Purchasing the Domain, go back to your Blogger Dashboard and connect that Domain to your Blogger Account
- Then try opening that Domain you purchased, the Blog will now be loading in your Domain instead of the .blogspot.com it was loading from initially
If you are finding it difficult to achieve this, kindly follow this article on how to connect your Blogger site with a Domain name
Once you are done with this, proceed to your Blogger pages and create the necessary pages for your blog
Terms of Service
It’s about time you published your first post
NOTE: Pick a nice Domain Name that resonates with what you intend to write on or something generic if you aren’t too sure of what you want to write on.
Secondly, pick a niche that has a high-paying clientele from a tier 1 country like the United States, UK, Australia, etc if you really want to succeed in Adsense.
Then keep publishing at least 1 content per day of a thousand five hundred words or more (Minimum 1,500 or more).
Keep publishing high-quality content with value without slacking, at the end of the month, you would have recorded 30 articles
Now, when you begin to publish from the second month, start building backlinks and creating the social sharing and buzz that the content will need to rank well
What is Article and Steps to writing Articles?
Article writing is all about writing about your opinions, thoughts, beliefs, talking about problems, suggestions, giving out solutions, etc in the form of an article.
Articles address their readers and should be tailored accordingly for an audience. Articles are published on a website, blog, newspaper, magazine, journals, etc, and most importantly, should attract and retain the reader’s attention.
Articles mostly contain the opinions and thoughts of writers backed by facts and evidence and describe occurrences, events, places, persons, experiences, and much more.
Objectives of Article Writing
Articles are written with the following objectives:
- An article brings out the topics or the matter of interest in the limelight
- It provides information on the topics
- Articles offer suggestions and pieces of advice
- Articles influence readers and urge them to think
- An article discusses different stories, locations, persons, rising issues, and technical developments.
Format of Article Writing
An article must be organized in the right way to draw the attention of the readers. The basic shape of writing an article is
- A line with the writer’s name
- The body, which is the main part of the article, should be at least 2-5 paragraphs
- The conclusion, which is the ending part of the article with an opinion, recommendation, anticipation, or an appeal.
Steps to Article Writing
Think about the topic you want to write about and after deciding on your topic, you can now follow these steps one after the other.
- Target audience – identify your target audience
- Objective – find the purpose or aim of writing the article
- Collect and Select – Gather as much information as possible and identify the most significant details.
- Organize – Arrange the information and facts in a logical way
Once you’ve taken care of the steps above, you can then start writing. But while writing an article, ensure you use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Also, make use of vocabulary and keep the introduction of the topic catching, interesting, and short. Make sure to discuss the opinion and the matter in an organized and descriptive manner.
Mistakes in Article Writing
Now you know the steps and format of article writing, making mistakes are inevitable, and here are some of the common mistakes in article writing format:
- Not using facts, quotes, or similar cases
- No use of paragraphs
- The heading or title must be catchy and clearly understandable
- Expressing personal views is ok but the writer must never talk about himself/herself.
- The article must be written in a language that is easy to understand
- The language shouldn’t be too formal
Things to keep in mind when writing an article
- You must have a goal for writing the article. Your goal can be providing information, advice, entertainment, etc.
- The topics should be unique and relevant
- The title/heading must be eye-catchy, interesting, and precise
- The introduction must be highly attentive. Use interrogative words or your vocabulary skills.
- The article must grab the attention of the readers
- Don’t use points that only interest you and not the general public
- Use clear statements and make assertions
- The article must be interesting
- The article must be easy to read
- Must have a good and logical ending
The Do’s and Dont’s of Article Writing
- Add the name of the writer
- The heading/title of the article should be short, clear, and informative
- Target the audience
- Use proper punctuations
- The language and the style of writing should be easily understood by readers
- Write very lengthy irrelevant articles
- Write lengthy and unclear headings
- Use any tense, voice, persons, as many abbreviations, and self-made words while writing an article.
- Give solution at the starting paragraph
- The introduction and conclusion should be attractive and attention seeker
Types of Articles
There are various types of articles including news, stories, features, profiles, instructional, and many more but here are 8 types of articles that will bring you a smarter audience.
Listicles are one of the most popular and enduring types of content. It’s so popular that you see it everywhere. Listicles feed the human desire for analysis, organization, and completeness. To make a successful list-based post;
- Use lists with 10, 16, 23, 24, or more items
- Make nice eye-catchy headlines
- Start with an introduction and end with a conclusion and not start with the list itself
- Write just one list and don’t try to combine two different types of lists into one
- Stack some social plugins on the page to make the list easily sharable.
Readers often concentrate when reading data-backed articles. SEOs for example are data-backed articles and people spend a lot of time trying to understand and know what SEO is and how profitable it is to their business.
People don’t really like to read lengthy articles, and some may try to read to an extent but that doesn’t mean you can’t write lengthy articles. The right people will read your articles even the long ones. Research shows that the average length of the top 10 results on Google had word counts of over 2,000.
Report articles are in-depth studies of a focused topic. A report consists of. downloadable PDFs that show survey statistics, charts, numbers, graphs, etc. Reports are valuable sources of information because they are reliable and filled with great data.
A good thing about content marketing is that you can respond to other content. A response is a way of directly interacting with other blogs or authors and a good way to attract intelligent readers to your blog.
Argumentation is a powerful form of content. It engages with their resources while also putting forth unique information. Create a blog post with structure and intent. The post should identify a point of view, argue against (or for) that point of view. Choose a position, stick with it, and prove it.
How-tos are straightforward articles. You just explain, step by step, how to do something. Each niche has certain processes, activities, or techniques that people do and when you explain how to do those things, you gain the attention of deliberate and smart people who want to learn.
Here are Part Time Jobs That Pay Well
Smart people love to research but this type of article is not easy to present research. After researching, you then have to communicate that research in intelligible ways but the result is always glorious as you’ll get an intelligent audience.
Sites to get Royalty Images for your Articles
If you are writing for a living, you should get to know these sites where you can get some free images for your articles
Images on this site are licensed under Creative Commons Zero meaning you can use the images without asking for permission or giving credit to the artist.
Unsplash lets you use its images for free any way you like except for using them to create a competing website.
Burst by Shopify is a free stock image platform for entrepreneurs. The photos are free as well as royalty-free. For business owners, this site also has a great selection of business ideas with tips and high-resolution images.
According to Pexels license, there’re are things you can and cannot do with the images on this site. You can use and modify the images on this site for free for both commercial and personal use without attribution.
This site lets you search by color and provides a complementary palette of colors in the photo.
Another great site with over 300,000 free stock images. It has its own license that allows a wide range of uses but lists several restricted use cases.
An online graphic design tool that also offers free stock images. An advantage of using Canva is that you can quickly turn images into custom graphics to use on social media or your blog.
Stocksnap images are free to download, edit, and use for your articles.
Another great site to get free images for your articles. This site lists free high-resolution photos and partners with Adobe Stock for more (paid) stock images.
An image hosting platform to get images you can use for your articles. On Flickr, select “Commercial use and mood allowed” under the “Any license” filter to find images.
Make sure to check the license for each image before use.
Sites that will pay you to write
If you are writing for a living, here are the best sites to earn money by writing your own articles.
You can earn money writing high-quality content for clients and industries on this site. This site matches writers who can publish on relevant sites with businesses looking to earn links, mentions, and traffic to their sites.
Link-Able only accepts native English writers and those with a track record of high-quality work in English.
Are you one of those who write for a living? Wow Women on Writing looks after female writers encourage them and genuinely seeks to offer opportunities to budding freelancers.
This site’s audience is diverse and focused on providing excellent content for women. Make money writing on this site and get paid via PayPal, or by Check (for the USA only).
If you are funny, smart and a creative person you can write and earn some extra cash on Cracked.com. You don’t really need to be an experienced writer before earning on this site.
Watch Culture is an online magazine based in the UK that covers the popular zeitgeist. Dozens of writers are earning money by publishing articles on music, film, sports, gaming, TV, and much more on this site.
It is one of the best sites for those who venture into writing for a living.
This site is always looking for articles to help small businesses increase their profits, influence, or impact. They provide high-quality business and marketing content to a wide audience.
If you have unique and original content or a great idea for the business marketing niche, consider writing and earning on Michelle Pippin.
To write for SitePoint, you have to be a web professional with a passion for development and design. This site is specifically looking for technical, instructive, well-written, and innovative content.
Though based in Melbourne, Australia, this site works with article writers from all over the world.
Optimizing your article for search engines
Here are some tips to increase your article’s search engine discoverability if you are a writer.
Your article title should be search engine friendly
That is, it should include 1-2 keywords related to your topic, and the title length should be clear, and short.
Optimize your abstract
Put important findings and keywords in the first two sentences of your abstract as only the first two sentences normally appear in search engine results.
Use keywords throughout the article
The keyword should be in your title, abstract, and keyword fields. Let the keyword flow naturally and in a contextual way.
Refer to writer names and initials consistently throughout the article.
Ensure you link your article across your social media, networking, and institutional sites as the more inbound links to your article, the more search engines will value and highlight your content.
- Discover the Highest Paying Apps for Android
- Best Blog Topics that Make the Most Money
- Here are Part Time Jobs That Pay Well
- 30 Ways To Earn Money in Dubai
That’s detailed information on the Art of Writing for a Living.
To be great at article writing, you need to have good content and good technique. There are lots of competition online when it comes to article writing and you need to consistently practice, practice, practice, and practice until you become great at it and draw traffic to your site.
Share what you know, the world is always waiting to hear from you. People are always in need of meaningful, and compelling content that conveys knowledge and helps people understand.
Also, know that you can make cool cash with article writing either on your blog or other sites. Sites like SitePoint, Link-Abel, and the rest of the aforementioned sites allow you to write and earn money.
Start creating, the world is waiting for you.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?